French Paper FAQ
Q: What is the French Paper Company?
A: Family-owned for six generations, French Paper Company is one of the smallest paper mills in America. French’s iconic paper brands like Speckletone, Dur-O-Tone, Pop-Tone, and Construction have made a big impact on the design community. Meanwhile, French Paper’s impact on the environment has remained surprisingly small. French Paper can be purchased through your commercial paper merchant or right here on the French Paper website.
Q: What is frenchpaper.com?
A: Frenchpaper.com is an online resource where you can purchase French Paper in sheet sizes ranging from 8.5" x 11" to 26" x 40" and envelopes.
Q: What is the difference between text and cover?
A: Text weight paper is the category of lighter paper generally used for stationery, flyers, and book pages. Cover weight paper, also known as cardstock, is the category of heavier paper used for products such as posters, menus, folders, and paperback covers. The typical paper found in copy machines is 50# text, and a typical business card is 80# cover.
Q: What do the "packaging" and "quantity" designations mean on the item selection page?
A: "Packaging" is the number of sheets/envelopes in a single package. "Quantity" is the number of packages you would like to receive.
Q: Where does my order ship from?
A: All orders ship from the French Industries warehouse in centrally located Niles, Michigan, USA, which is down the road from the French Paper mill.
Q: Can I calculate my shipping costs before ordering?
A: Yes, you can calculate your shipping costs by going through the order process until the cost is available. Please be careful not to finalize the order unless you're sure it's complete.
Q: What time does my order need to be placed to assure same-day shipping?
A: Same-day Express shipping (2nd Day or Next Day Air) needs to be placed before 3PM EASTERN TIME to make delivery. French Paper makes every effort to ship ALL orders received before 3PM that day, however UPS Ground orders may be sent the next business day.
Q: Can I have a custom cut other than those listed on the site?
A: We are not able to create custom cuts that are not listed on the site. Your local printer or copy shop may be able to cut your paper for a minimal charge. (For custom paper manufacturing, please call us at 269.683.1100 or fill out the “Information Request Form.”
Q: Will my order ship flat or rolled?
A: Most of the paper from our warehouse is expertly packed and shipped flat to avoid curl and damage. Some gift-wrap and posters are securely rolled in tubes for shipping.
Q: Can I use my own UPS account to ship my order?
A: Yes, you can. IMMEDIATELY after you place your order, call us at (269) 683.1100 with your order confirmation number and UPS account number, and we will have it shipped on your account.
Q: Can you print my piece for me?
A: Unfortunately, no. French Paper is a paper manufacturer and does not have any printing capabilities. We are happy to ship paper directly to your printer if designated in your order.
Q: Can I purchase custom envelopes through French Paper?
A: A wide range of envelope sizes is available on the website. For custom sizes, it is best to contact your local paper merchant or an envelope converter.
Q: How do I get samples of French Papers?
A: You can get samples through the sample department of your local merchant. Use our merchant locator, or call customer service at (269) 683.1100 to find the merchant nearest you. Also, when you order paper and products from frenchpaper.com, we try to include a recent swatch book or promotion. Please remember to hold on to these as future reference for our products. (Or if you get more than one, pass them along--we're known for our recycling!)
French Custom Manufacturing FAQ
Q: Can I create custom colors, custom textures, or custom sizes of French Paper?
A: Yes. Because we are a small, independent, family-owned mill, we can make custom color or textured paper in unusually low quantities.
- 10,000 lbs. for custom colors (approximately 62 cartons of 80# Cover)
- 2,000 lbs. for custom size rolls, sheets or textures (approximately 13 cartons of 80# Cover)
For more information, go to the Custom Paper page, use the Information Request Form, or call us at (269) 683.1100.
Free CSA Images on French FAQ
About our Collaboration
Thank you for visiting the French Paper Company website. The only thing we love more than our paper is to see great art and incredible design printed on it, so we're thrilled to announce our collaboration with Charles S. Anderson Design to bring you Free CSA Images (a selection of black and white images) from one of the world's most extensive and highly awarded collections of graphic illustrations, modern icons, and design elements, available for FREE when printed on French Paper.
Free CSA Images can be used by all French Paper customers, including designers, art directors, silkscreen, letterpress, and offset printers, scrapbookers, crafters, and hobbyists alike. The Free CSA Images collection is available when printed on French Paper, whether purchased through FrenchPaper.com or through your local French Paper merchant.
Free CSA Images is a joint venture between French Paper and Charles S. Anderson Design, and is the culmination of a 25-year relationship between the companies. Free CSA Images is a subset of the CSA Images collection, a modern design resource and digital museum of art for commerce that has been created over the past 35 years. CSA Images is the only stock image library to be selected for inclusion in the Smithsonian Institution's Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum Design Triennial.
Established in 1871, the independent, family-owned French Paper Company is an industry leader in providing specialty, recycled, and environmentally friendly printing papers. French continues to pioneer the materials and methods used to enhance the work of creative professionals by being the first mill to go beyond pulp and offer a free digital design resource to its customers for use on its papers.
CSA Images is a vast collection of visual content created with consideration for the look and feel of French Paper. CSA's high res tiff Images capture the authenticity and detail of hand-drawn illustration, and digitally preserve the legacy and artifacts of ink printed on paper. CSA Images contain tens of thousands of illustrations and design elements, including icons, ornaments, patterns, borders, formats, and illustrated words, all searchable by keyword.
Over the years, CSA has created countless original photographs, illustrations, and design elements in addition to seeking out and acquiring entire collections of original art from copyright owners. All told, CSA has spent hundreds of thousands of hours creating, commissioning, curating, and purchasing images in addition to researching historic materials for rights clearance and protecting and policing its original art and derivative works.
CSA Images includes hand-drawn original illustrations and photographs created by over one hundred talented designers, artists, and photographers who have worked with CSA Design over the decades. The varied collections of CSA Images have been nearly 40 years in the making, starting with Clyde Lewis's original advertising art spanning his career from the 1930's-1970's, to the staggering amount of time spent searching through every conceivable type of historic printed material to find the small percentage of images out of millions that are aesthetically interesting enough to be considered for inclusion in the collection. These images are then simplified and made more graphic for impact, and in some cases redrawn or combined with other elements to change the context and convey new ideas. CSA Images also contains collections of original artwork work that have been commissioned and purchased over the years.
The constantly expanding CSA images collection is inspired by the entire history of graphic design, typography, and illustration from their origins in printing and commercial art through the digital age, paralleling French Paper's existence from 1871 to today.
The image business is complex and a bit tricky. While ideally your use of Free CSA Images would only be bound by the limits of your imagination, pre-existing licensing agreements and prior relationships require us to enforce our usage restrictions. As a result, Free CSA Images are only free for use on end products printed on French Paper. So please review the below carefully before moving forward, including the CSA Images End User License Agreement ("EULA") found at the following link:CSA Images EULA.
Free CSA Images Details
- Free CSA Images. Free CSA Images and design elements are available for use on end products printed on any French Paper grade. Permissible projects must be in the form of end products entirely comprised of French Paper, including all reprints. A free image may not be used in any digital, broadcast or publication format. It is impermissible to print a free image on French Paper and use a photo or image of that printed piece for any promotional purposes, except promoting the sale of the printed piece itself. For any uses in which the final product is not printed on French Paper, a license must be purchased through csaimages.com.
- Limits of Image Download. For each individual, licensee, or company, there is a maximum download of 3 images per day with a limit of 100 images per year. (For example, a company with ten designers can use a total of 100 images per year.) A limit of up to 20 CSA Images may be used on a single project or series of products.
- Term: Three-year term for you to print and personally distribute printed end products featuring FREE CSA Images.
- Products Sold Online: Products using Free CSA Images on French Paper may be sold through retail or wholesale channels, including Etsy and similar sites. Products using Free CSA Images may not be sold through nor posted on P.O.D. sites, including CafePress.com and all other P.O.D. sites and sites with similar software.
- Limited Online Usage: Projects printed on French Paper using Free CSA Images may be posted online in the context of the final printed piece for the limited purpose of promoting or selling the printed end product (up to 600 x 600 pixels in size for a three-year term). It is impermissible to use such a printed piece in an ornamental or marketing context to promote any products or services other than the printed piece itself. The following notice/link is required for any such use: ©CSA Images/French Paper.
- Portfolio Usage: Regardless of the foregoing, you may use the final piece or an image of the final piece for historical or self-promotion purposes within the context of your entire portfolio of work. Any portfolio use of the printed piece must be in a size and format which matches the size and format of other portfolio pieces and must follow the pixel and notice requirements.
- Other Uses: For all other uses of CSA Images not specifically allowed herein, including digital and applications not printed on French Paper, or for re-licensing images for use beyond the Term, please visit csaimages.com to request a license. The CSA Images website contains the entire CSA Images collection, including thousands of full-color images.
- Limited Liability: All Free CSA Images are provided "AS IS", and French Paper and CSA make no warranties regarding the fitness or availability of these images for any particular purpose. Any French Paper and CSA liability to you for any reason arising from your use of Free CSA Images on French Paper shall be limited to the amount you paid for the relevant French Paper products.
- EULA: In addition to the above terms, all usage of Free CSA Images is governed by the terms of the general CSA Images EULA found at the following link. (csaimages.com/EULA) There are significant consequences associated with the unauthorized use of any CSA Images works, including a liquidated damages formula which may require payment of multiple times the standard rate to retroactively license unauthorized uses. Please read the EULA carefully and follow it.
- Paper Requirement: Free CSA Images are free only when printed on French Paper. For all other uses, a license must be purchased through csaimages.com.
- Framed Prints for Resale: Free CSA Images may not be used for framed, laminated, or mounted posters and prints for resale, even if printed on French Paper. For this use, please visit csaimages.com. to purchase a license.
- Reference/Derivatives. You may not use Free CSA Images for reference to create new images and print them on t-shirts, posters, templates, or other applications and sell them to others for consumption, reproduction, sublicense, or re-sale. If you use CSA Images as the basis for any subsequent work, it is a violation of the derivatives provision of the Copyright Act.
- Logos. Non-exclusive use of Free CSA Images including icons and elements on stationery applications is permitted. However, an effective logo should be exclusive to a company or brand and should be created by a design professional. Free CSA Images are non-exclusive. As a result, you may not use Free CSA Images as part of a trademark, design mark, trade name, business name, service mark, logo, or any permanent identifier of a company, brand, product, or service.
- Copyright Notice. All uses of Free CSA Images require a small adjacent copyright notice as follows: ©CSA Images/French Paper. When posting online, this notice should link back to FrenchPaper.com.
- Seat Restrictions. Free CSA Images may only be used once for a specific use. They may not be compiled, stored, placed on a server, disseminated, or used multiple times. You may not use Free CSA Images in more than one location at a time or post a copy of Free CSA Images on a network server or web server for use by others.
- No Sublicenses. Free CSA Images are for your use only. You may transfer Free CSA Images to your client, printer, or ISP for the purpose of reproduction for permitted uses provided that they will have no further or additional rights to use the Free CSA Images and cannot access them or extract them from any file you provide. They may not be sublicensed unless specifically permitted herein, may not be used or displayed in e-resale merchandise including P.O.D. or other on-demand applications, electronic templates for e-greeting or similar cards, electronic templates for web or applications development, PowerPoint or Keynote templates, screensavers, e-mail or brochure templates, and all other templates or made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the context as an electronic file. You may not re-sell or otherwise transfer or distribute the content of Free CSA Images or the rights granted under this agreement.
- On-Demand. You may not use Free CSA Images on websites or other venues designed to induce or involve the sale, license, or other distribution of on-demand products, including postcards, mugs, t-shirts, posters, and other items, unless otherwise provided herein. (This includes custom designed websites as well as sites such as CafePress.com.)
- Wireless/Mobile/Pad Devices. You may not use Free CSA Images in an electronic format that enables them to be downloaded or distributed via mobile devices or shared in any peer-to-peer or similar file sharing arrangement.
French Paper Company and CSA Images Rights
French Paper Company and/or CSA Images reserves the right, in its/their discretion, to change, terminate, or modify all or any part of any program, offer, incentive, or agreement at any time.
Free Csa Images On French Paper
Q: How many images can I download and use?
A: For each individual, licensee, or company, there is a maximum download of 3 images per day with a limit of 100 images per year. (For example, a company with ten designers can use a total of 100 images per year.) A limit of up to 20 Free CSA Images may be used on a single project or series of products.
Q: How long can I use the CSA Image(s)?
A: All images licensed as Free CSA Images on French Paper may be used for up to three years. Extended terms for reprints require re-license.
Q: Can I use Free CSA Image(s) on products for sale?
A: Yes. Products using Free CSA Images on French Paper may be sold through retail or wholesale channels, including Etsy and similar sites. Products using Free CSA Images may not be sold through nor posted on print-on-demand sites, including CafePress.com and all other P.O.D. sites and similar software.
Q: Can I use Free CSA Image(s) online?
Q: Can I use Free CSA Image(s) online?
A: Yes. Projects printed on French Paper using Free CSA Images may be posted online in the context of the printed piece to display, promote, or sell the printed project (up to 600 x 600 pixels in size for the three-year term). The following notice/link is required for online use: ©CSA Images/French Paper.
Q: Can I use the downloaded image on anything?
A: No. Free CSA Images and design elements are only available for use on projects printed on any French Paper grade. Permissible projects must be in the form of end products entirely comprised of French Paper, including all reprints. A free image may not be used in any digital, broadcast or publication format. It is impermissible to print a free image on French Paper and use a photo or image of that printed piece for any promotional purposes, except promoting the sale of the printed piece itself. For any uses in which the final product is not printed on French Paper, a license must be purchased through CSA Images.
Q: Do I have to use the copyright notice?
A: Yes. Printed projects or products using Free CSA Images on French require a small adjacent copyright notice as follows: ©CSA Images/French Paper.
Q: Do I own an image once I purchase it?
A: No. By downloading an image, you are granted a limited license to use an image in accordance with specific terms and conditions. All images are owned by CSA Images. For further information, please see the End User License Agreement. For any uses in which the final product is not printed on French Paper, a license must be purchased through CSA Images.
Q: How do I search by keyword?
A: To search for an image by keyword, go to the Free Images section of the French Paper website. In the “Search Images” field, enter the most apt or common word(s) that describes the image(s) you would like displayed. The default will be to search among all of the CSA Images collections.
Q: How can I see images without searching by keyword?
A: You can browse images by style or subject. individual collections by clicking on the collection name (All Collections, Illustrations, Icons, Elements) in the drop down menu that appears when you scroll over the keyword search box in the upper right French Paper navigation bar. For more detailed browsing, you can also browse CSA Images by going to the Free CSA Images on French main page and click on the image bars that indicate each CSA collection.
Free Images Shopping Cart, Checkout, and Download Center
Q: What is the shopping cart?
A: The shopping cart is the place where you begin to license Free CSA Images for use on French Paper. Images may be added or removed from the shopping cart at any time. If you would like to license an image(s) in your shopping cart, press the "Continue Purchase" button and proceed from there. To discard and image, click "Remove from Cart" next to the item. You may leave and return to your shopping cart as you continue browsing.
Q: How do I add an item to my shopping cart?
A: To add an image or element to your shopping cart, simply click on the “Add to Downloads” button on the extended view of the image.
Q: What if I attempt to add an image to my shopping cart, but that image does not appear in my shopping cart?
A: The preferences in your browser must be set to accept cookies. If your browser is set to accept cookies and the problem persists, please call CSA Images at 1-888-339-1263 or 1-612-339-1441 or e-mail email@example.com.
Q: How do I remove an item from my shopping cart?
A: Click the “X” button in the upper right corner of the item.
Q: How do I check out?
A: When you have finished browsing images, go to your shopping cart and make sure it contains the image(s) you wish to license (up to 3 images per day). Then click the "Continue Purchase" button.
The next step in the secure checkout process is to enter your personal information (which may be pre-filled from registration and previous visit to the website), use and reference information. You will also be asked to click an "I agree to the Terms and Conditions" button. When finished, click the "Complete Purchase" button. Please click this button only one time. If you press "Complete Purchase" more than once, your order may be duplicated.
Once your license is confirmed, you will be taken to a page that states, "Please Print This Page As Your Invoice." We recommend that you print this page for your records.
Please follow the prompts to the download center for the image(s) or element(s) you have licensed. If you have trouble downloading your files, please call CSA Images at 1-888-339-1263 or 1-612-339-1441 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: How do I receive the Free CSA Images on French that I just licensed?
A: Free CSA Images are downloaded directly from this website. Once the checkout process is complete, you will be directed to the page where you may download the image(s). The image(s) you licensed will also be available for you to download or re-download for up to 2 weeks from when you complete the checkout process. To access your licensed image(s), click on "Account" or “Download Center” to view a list of your order history.
Q: What is the download center?
A: The download center is the location where high resolution Free CSA Images are placed after you have licensed them.
Q: How do I download images immediately after checkout?
A: When you complete your online license, there is a link at the bottom of the confirmation page that will take you to the download center. You will be able to see your most recent license as well as every image licensed over the last three months. Click on the link and you will be taken to a new page where your image(s) may be downloaded by clicking the "Download" button.
Q: How do I download previously licensed images on a return visit?
A: If you leave the Free CSA Images portion of the French Paper website after you obtain a license and return later to download the image(s), you will have to log in using the same username and password with which you initially licensed the image(s). To access your recently licensed image(s) click on “ Account” or “Download Center” and select a specific order number/date and then click the corresponding “View Order” button. The image(s) you have licensed will be available for you to download for two weeks from the date of the initial license.
Q: What if I license a Free CSA Image but cannot find it in the download center?
A: Please go back to the homepage and log in using your username and password. Click on the "Download Center" button to view your order. If the image does not appear in the order, you will have to re-license the image by going through the shopping cart again. If you need further help, please e-mail email@example.com or call CSA Images at 1-888-339-1263 or 1-612-339-1441.
Q: If the image I'm downloading is opening up in my browser window, how can I get it to open on my desktop instead?
A: Images will open in your browser window instead of your desktop if your browser preferences are set to open TIFF files in QuickTime. If you have a MAC operating system, hold down the option key and click on the download button. The image will download onto your desktop. If you have a PC operating system, “right click” on the download button and the image will download onto your desktop. Note: For future downloading, you may want to change your browser's preferences so that all TIFF files are opened by Adobe Photoshop. Once this is done, your file will download onto your desktop.
Q: What if I get an error message when I try to download my image?
A: Please go back to the home page. Click on the "Download Center" button. Log in as a returning customer using your username and password and try downloading the image again. If you need further help, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call CSA Images at 1-888-339-1263 or 1-612-339-1441.
Q: Is there online security to protect my account information?
A: Yes. When you begin the checkout process, you will notice that the security icon on your browser will go from being an "unlocked" icon to a "locked" icon. This means that information you enter such as your address and phone numbers are encrypted and secure via Network Solutions.
General Use and Image File Questions
Q: How do I download a comp image?
A: Go to the extended view of the image by clicking on the image thumbnail. Then drag and drop the image to your desktop. You will receive a 400 pixel x 400 pixel, 72 dpi file. To increase the file size, change the resolution (with constrained proportions checked) to 72 dpi in Photoshop.
Q: May I alter any of the images from CSA?
A: Upon obtaining a license to use Free CSA Images on French Paper, the image(s) may be cropped or resized, and portions of an image may be diminished or removed. Images may not be used as a basis to create a different image or derivative image; and logos and trademarks may not be applied to any image. You may not claim copyright or trademark of any altered image. The image copyright shall always remain with CSA Images.
Q: Can I use my username and password from the CSA Images website on the French Paper website?
A: No, you must register on the French Paper website separately in order to access the Free on French CSA Images. If you are already registered on the French website, you do not need to re-register, you can use your current username and password.
Q: What is the file format and size of the image file?
A: CSA black and white images and elements are Photoshop tiff files approximately 600 dpi at 6" x 8".
Q: Are Free CSA Images on French Paper available as Vector files?
A: Free CSA Images are not available as Vector files. Free CSA Images high-resolution Tiff images capture the authenticity and detail of hand-drawn illustration and the beautifully tactile look of ink printed on paper.
Q: Are Free CSA Images on French Paper model released?
A: No. The images that depict recognizable people are not model released. These photos make up only a fraction of the collection; and you, your employer, and/or your client, if applicable, license these images at your/their own risk.